NAIROBI - Kenya’s Internal Security Minister George Saitoti was killed Sunday along with five others in a police helicopter crash near Nairobi, officials said. Saitoti, 66, was a candidate in next year’s presidential election and a key figure driving country’s fight against Al Qaeda-affiliated Shebab insurgents in Somalia.
Saitoti was killed along with Joshua Orwa Ojonde, the assistant minister for internal security, the two pilots - including a woman - and two bodyguards when the helicopter came down in the Ngong hills outside the capital. President Mwai Kibaki and Prime Minister Raila Odinga paid tribute to Saitoti, who played a prominent role in the campaign against Somali insurgents.
, blamed for a series of terror attacks and kidnappings on Kenyan soil. “The government will ensure a thorough probe” into the cause of the crash, Odinga told journalists at the crash site. Saitoti was on his way to attend a religious ceremony in western Kenya when the Eurocopter came down in the Kibuku forest around 8:30 am (0530 GMT) shortly after taking off from Nairobi’s Wilson airport.
An AFP journalist on the scene saw six bodies charred beyond recognition being removed from the wreckage. The helicopter was entirely destroyed. A witness at the scene described the helicopter as having “hovered up there and looked like it was turning back” before coming down.
Another witness, farmer Ole Tolei, told AFP that he had seen the aircraft “flying very low. It came down suddenly and we heard a loud explosion, and then it burst into flames.”
As internal security minister, Saitoti controlled the state’s top investigative arms, the National Security Intelligence Service and the Criminal Investigations Department.
Kenya sent thousands of troops into southern Somalia in October last year to fight the Shebab and protect its border. It has since been joined by other regional powers in a bid to rout the militant group from its strongholds in the south and centre of the country.
It was Saitoti who made the first public announcement of the invasion, two days after Kenyan troops crossed the border.
Several people have been killed in a series of bomb attacks in border areas, and a bomb in a Nairobi shopping centre last month wounded 38 people. Saitoti declared recently that the government would not be cowed by “terrorists”.
Kibaki said in a statement the deaths were “a devastating loss to our country.”
“Minister Saitoti will forever be remembered as a hardworking and determined public servant who dedicated his time to the service of the Kenyan people,” he said.
Saitoti had announced that he was standing as a candidate to succeed Kibaki in the 2013 presidential election.
A former finance minister, he was vice-president in the administration of Daniel Arap Moi from 1989-1997 and again from 1999-2002.
Updated at: 25 May 2013
Liverpool manager’s son found not guilty LONDON: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers voiced his family’s relief after his footballer son Anton was cleared Friday in a sex case at England’s central criminal court.
Anton Rodgers, 20, and three Brighton team-mates were found not guilty of sexual assault and voyeurism.
The retrial, at the Old Bailey in London, followed an earlier trial in which a jury could not agree verdicts.
Brendan Rodgers said: “The last 18 months have been extremely traumatic for us as a family, but we are ...
Updated at: 25 May 2013
Space trip with DiCaprio costs $1.55m CANNES - Leonardo DiCaprio is going to get closer to stars of a different kind as he heads into space aboard the Virgin Galactic, and a well-heeled bidder at the Cannes Film Festival has paid 1.2 million euros (1.5 million) to be his travel buddy.
The Holywood star’s sub-orbital trip was among 20 goodies up for grabs at the 20th amfAR bash, a gala auction that is one of the glitziest festival events and that this year helped raise a record-breaking $25 million for AIDS research.
PIA plane lands at Manchester airport, probe continues LONDON: A Pakistan International Airline (PIA) passenger plane, which was forced to land at a London airport after two travelers threatened to ‘explode the plane’ during their argument, has now arrived at Manchester.
According to the sources, British police arrested two people on suspicion of ... Deal with IMF now will be self-defeating: Sartaj LAHORE : Pakistan’s new leadership expects first results of its planned steps to shore up its finances and ease a power crisis in two or three months and only then should decide whether and on what terms to seek an IMF bailout, a senior policy adviser said on Friday.
Most economists, lenders and ... Altaf says he never preached misuse of authority KARACHI: Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain said on Friday that he had never preached corruption, fraud, cheating, overstepping and misuse of authority and indulging in social evils to his workers.
"I have been asking his workers to refrain from these evils since 1978, Altaf said ... Peshawar: 7 policemen dead in rocket assault PESHAWAR: At least seven policemen were killed while seven more policeman including District Police Officer (DPO) Kohat were critically injured in a rocket attack here on Friday night.
According to the sources, the incident took place when 10 to 15 militants attacked a convoy of DPO Kohat ... Dark ages: The heat is on, the power is off FAISALABAD / KARACHI / ISLAMABAD: It’s the perfect storm, Pakistan style. This Friday was the hottest day Lahore has suffered in the last 29 years, with the temperature shooting up as high as 47 degrees centigrade, a record according to the Pakistan Metrological Department. And on this sweltering ...